DIY Emergency Candles

The BSA Scout Motto is "Be Prepared".
One of our family's goal is to be prepared, as best as we can.

Light is one of the areas that we were lacking.
 I have been gathering candle making supplies for awhile and wanted to have safe, inexpensive candles for our loved ones to use during power outages.  I knew I wanted handles and used clear mugs with handles.  Clear because I wanted the most radiant light, handles to carry, if necessary.
 Here is the supplies.  You can see that most of the candles are used.
 I did purchase these tapers at the thrift store for $.25 each.  These were used instead of wicks.

 I measured the tapers according to the container that would be used. 
They are all placed on a cookie sheet covered in layers of newspaper.
 I used a clean #10 tin can with a bended "spout" for a candle double boiler.
 The first real step was to pour a small amount of melted wax into the bottom of each container and hold the taper in place for a few moments for it to set.
 I added the was of similar colors.  I tried to remove the wicks from the candles that I was melting down, but didn't worry about getting them all.  They settle onto the bottle of the pouring can and were easy to wipe out at the end.
 I did measure the tapers a little taller than my desired wax level.
I poured in the melted wax.
 Some of the tapers tipped off to the side a little.
These I just stabilized with a few strips of masking take.
 Now we have a selection of candles to use in case of emergency.

  "For God, who commanded the light to shine out of darkness, hath shined in our hearts, to give the light of the knowledge of the glory of God in the face of Jesus Christ." 2 Corinthians 4:6

May you and yours always be in the light!

Comments

Popular Posts