Rhubarb Lemon Custard Pie

  This wonderful pie recipe is from my great grandma, Emily Louise Gumb Thomas.  She immigrated to the United States in 1888 from England at age 4.  Her family moved to Holt County Nebraska. 
Grandma Thomas was a great influence in my life.  She was an independent women who grew a little garden and even canned jam in jelly jars the summer before she died at the age of 88.  I grew up living in the same town as Grandma and I was able to visit her often.  She taught me to do patchwork quilts, sew on a treadle sewing machine and how to play scrabble.

Rhubarb Lemon Custard Pie
3 cups rhubarb, cut small
1 ½ cups sugar
1 lemon, zested peel & squeezed juice
3 Tablespoons cornstarch
3 eggs, beaten
Mix well.  Pour into unbaked pie shell.  Bake about 45 minutes at 375’.

I just picked the rhubarb and gathered the eggs.  Nothing beats fresh food.  Enjoy the pie!

Comments

What a very touching post. I grew up without any grandparents, I was a late baby for my mother and father.
I wonder what my Grandmas might have taught me?

Jean x

Popular Posts